Holiday Dutch Apple Pie
I just wanted to give this apple pie recipe to you, because it’s delicious and a great pie to make during the holidays when you have guests over. Or you can make it and eat most of it yourself while wrapping presents, which is actually what I did!
I like making pie and I even don’t mind making pie crust, but around this time of year, the thing that’s great about this pie is that you can use a premade frozen crust and for the top, it’s just crumbles. No need for a top crust.
DUTCH APPLE PIE
HOLIDAY DUTCH APPLE PIE
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
This delicious apple pie can be made any time of year, but it is especially good during the holidays when it's hot out of the oven, served with a scoop of ice cream.
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- PIE TOPPING
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- PIE FILLING
- 6 cups peeled and sliced (about 1/4" thick) Granny Smith apples
- 1 tbls lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbls all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a medium bowl, combine all the topping ingredients. With a fork, mix all ingredients until well-mixed and crumbly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, both sugars, flour, salt and nutmeg. Toss until all the apple slices are coated.
- Layer apples in the prepared pie crust. The slices don't all have to lay neatly, but try to stack layers evenly so that you can fit more filling in the crust.
- Fill crust until an even mound is made. You can make it pretty full.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. If using a metal pie pan, place your pie on the baking sheet and place on the center rack in the oven. If using a glass, ceramic or pyrex pie plate, place your pie on the center rack and the sheet on the bottom rack.
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes. When you see that your crumbles are browning, tent a piece of foil loosely over the top of the pie.
- Turn heat down to 350 F and bake for 45-55 minutes. The pie is done when you can insert a knife into the center of the pie and feel that the apples are cooked through.
- Cool for 30 minutes and serve hot, or cool completely and store covered at room temperature.